With what seems like more than 78 million books about fixing your posture, so what what makes this one different? Three things:
- We bust the myths surrounding good posture, pain, muscular tightness, and how to approach them from a scientific standpoint.
- Instead of a cookie-cutter routine, we’ll show you how to select the right exercises for your own needs.
- Since even the best routine is useless if you don’t actually do it, we’ll show you how to integrate better movement habits during the other 23.5 hours of the day.
Written by two physical therapists who have worked with thousands of people around the world, Overcoming Poor Posture is based on one simple idea: there is no such thing as perfect posture.
No two bodies are alike, and we’ll teach you how to find your own best alignment so you can live each day in health and comfort while performing your best in all the activities that matter to you. Instead of a painful issue to fix, you’ll learn to think of your postural alignment as a dynamic component of how you sit, stand, and move in your body.
Inside, you’ll find:
- Practical, real-life explanations about the factors that have shaped your posture, the link between poor posture and pain, and how your posture impacts lifestyle.
- Clear pictures demonstrating exercises for alignment, mobility, strength, and motor patterning, all with detailed instructions.
- Tips for making a habit of better posture throughout your day.
- Instruction for choosing the right exercises and structuring a routine that fits your body and goals.
- An appendix with sample programs you can use to get started right away.
Put it all together, and you’ve got a systematic approach to refining your posture for better health and performance in everything you do.
If you’re already aware of many of the different exercises for posture, many of the exercises may be familiar to you. However, we teach and show you to put them together coherently with progression to work toward specific goals instead of just throwing them at your body hoping they will work.
I approached GMB earlier this year about this project because there are a lot of myths surrounding good posture, bad posture, pain, muscular tightness, and a lot of other things that contribute to posture, alignment and overall well being. I though it would be a good fit to work with them because they’re all about not just posture but overall movement and wellness, especially from a bodyweight fitness perspective.
Overall, our goal was to approach posture from a scientific and practical perspective as both Jarlo and I were both physical therapists. We took a look at what the science says about posture, pain, tightness and different factors, and we distilled it into information that everyone can understand. From there we combined the science with an approach which integrates flexibility, mobility, stability, and strength training to help you systematically refine your posture for health and performance as you need to.
There are no “set routines” in our book as there is no one perfect posture or alignment for everyone. Instead, we chose to go the route of teaching you the concepts and introducing sample plans so that you have the knowledge to utilize the exercises in the book (and even those we didn’t include in the book) for your body as you need them.
I hope you enjoy the book!